BACK TO NEWS
Penton’s Supermarket News Redesigns Around the Digital User Experience
Offering More Real-Time Digital News and Data, Curating Social Digital Insights in Print
New York, January 13, 2014 – Penton’s Supermarket News, the industry’s leading resource of news and information for executive decision-makers in the food industry, today announced it has repositioned and redesigned its content for multi-platform users.
“Supermarket News is evolving as part of Penton’s overall effort to deliver cohesive suites of products that fit into the lives of digitally focused users,” said Joe Territo, SVP, Content and User Engagement, Penton. “We studied supermarket industry user behaviors to learn their information habits. We gained valuable insights about how and when they consume information and respond to marketing on different devices throughout the day. We used that intelligence to fine-tune our digital and print offerings, so they better meet user needs. We’re sharing this information throughout Penton to inform our approaches in other markets.”
“We’ve rethought and redesigned Supermarket News to keep the industry even more up-to-date and informed on the most important topics and events throughout the year,” said David Orgel, editor-in-chief, Supermarket News – and Executive Director of Content and User Engagement, Penton’s Food market. “Today begins a new era in our long history, and we are very excited to provide our readers with news and information at the right time, in the right place, and on the right platforms .”
Based on extensive feedback from users, Supermarket News readers can now receive even more real-time news and information throughout the day online from SupermarketNews.com (a responsive website for desktop / laptop computers and mobile devices), its e-newsletters, and mobile platforms (on smartphones and tablets). In addition, the Supermarket News print edition offers deep information, insights and outlooks from the industry’s largest and most experienced content team.
In 2014, Supermarket News will present first-time data on retail leaders in price and service, new research on consumer behavior and supermarket preferences, reports on industry collaboration, and numerous opinion columns from industry personalities. New digital content includes everything from web galleries, to videos, to e-newsletters geared to beverage, health and wellness, and marketing categories.
In print, Supermarket News will deliver a redesigned magazine, beginning January 13, which will be published twice a month, double the frequency of any other media brand covering the supermarket industry. Elements will include sections on fresh foods and center store, as well as retail coverage with many signature pieces – such as the annual Marketer of the Year profile, and the Top 75 roster of the biggest retailers and wholesalers.
Key new areas of the new Supermarket News magazine:
- More Perspective: An upfront section called “Around the Industry” provides new angles on recent industry developments. In addition, many feature stories throughout the issue include a box called “SN Insight,” which offers editors’ takes on topics covered.
- Big-Picture Issues: A new feature called “Taking Sides” presents opposing views on hot topics from industry experts, such as this week’s faceoff on country of origin labeling. This will be rotated with another feature called “On Topic,” which will be an industry Q&A on high-profile issues.
- Executive Tracker: A new “Executive Branch” section expands Supermarket News’ coverage of industry executive changes, which will now include titles from associations, suppliers, and other sectors.
- Best of Online: A new “Web Watch” section curates the best online content from Supermarket News and other sources, including social media, reader comments and blog posts.
- Market by Market: The new “Regional Report” section spotlights retailers in different parts of the country to relay important stories that may not otherwise be told.
- Picture Perfect: The new “On View” section will close each issue with images that showcase new retail formats, store redesigns, industry gatherings and other developments. In many cases print readers will find additional related images online.
BACK TO NEWS
To experience Supermarket News, go to SupermarketNews.com
About Supermarket News
Geared to executive decision-makers in the food industry, Supermarket News is the industry’s leading resource for news and information. Supermarket News provides news, trends, solutions, in-depth analysis and forward-looking content as well as insights from the largest and most experienced team of editors covering the industry. In print, Supermarket News has the greatest frequency of any nationally circulated trade magazine covering this industry.
For millions of business owners and decision-makers, Penton makes the difference every day. We engage our professional users by providing actionable ideas and insights, data and workflow tools, community and networking, both in person and virtually, all with deep relevance to their specific industries. We then activate this engagement by connecting users with tens of thousands of targeted providers of products and services to help drive business growth. Learn more about our company at www.penton.com.
Penton is a privately held company owned by MidOcean Partners and U.S. Equity Partners II, an investment fund sponsored by Wasserstein & Co., LP.
Editor in Chief
VP, Food Group